The h.Energy Village
Creative, informative and fun, the h.Energy Village is one of the most popular aspects of the River Carnival.
For 2018, we have taken our inspiration from the wonderful Blue Planet BBC TV series. We’ll be looking at plastic and what we can do to protect our seas and waterways in our fun plastic pop-up.
You can expect the usual blend of children’s activities, storytelling, local produce, food and drink, environmental information & talks, music, arts and all round fun.
Check out …
The ARTS LAB – bizarre & fantastic recycled plastic activities: life-drawing classes with plastic models… storytelling from a scaffolding bed… plastic weaving and magnetic art… biodegradable glitter wrestling & face-painting from Fairy Love, plastic sculpture seating.. and much more.
In the PlasticActionHere Marquee join
- The Plastic Action Here team! Making and printing paper bags to give away, signing people up to local single use plastic action, and full of good advice and information about plastics & recycling… come and join in..
- The Bean Café – a delicious bean burger bar.. with homemade cakes & lemonade too
- New Leaf’s craftivism Cardboard Cut Out plastic action
- Tilly & the Onion Project: https://www.facebook.com/The-Onion-Project-1660004794085353/
- And at 12.30 come and meet Richard Fishbourne of Bugs & Beasties and the Hereford Yazor Brook Restoration Project. Richard will talk about the essential part our local waterways play in the environmental health of the city, and the impact on habitats of plastic pollution.
On the Village Market:
Bring your bike along for some free TLC, repair & maintenance with Dr Phil of the Herefordshire Green Network; get money saving advice from Money Saving Jane; have fun with recycled crafts & activities or get all the information you need about local environmental issues; buy plastic free sanitary towels and environmentally friendly household cleaning materials, plus craft made furnishings and craft beer!… Ooh and blow bubbles with a bike! Or fry an egg if you’d rather …
Plus our own One&Only recycling station – with Recycling Angels to offer recycling advice.
Plus .. electric vehicles & info, fire pits to keep you warm, and straw bales for seating…
Charge your phone with the help of Solar Kinetics.
TBC! Energy in the h.Energy Village will be provided by SolarKinetics – huge thanks to them for powering our bean burgers cooking and also our music:
In the gorgeous Oakwrights Cruck Frame, come to Wierdshire…
Running Order at the h.Energy Village
10am – 4pm: h.Energy Village stalls, food & activities
12.30: Richard Fishbourne of Bugs & Beasties in the Plastic Action Here Marquee
12 noon onwards: Weirdshire – Folk Music in the Cruck Frame
Don’t forget to BYO Beaker! & find out why the WHOLE carnival is encouraging you to bring your own beaker… (#GreeningtheCarnival #PlasticActionHere).
Look out for our Green Team around the site on Saturday offering advice and supporting Hereford River Carnival’s efforts to go green…
Keep an eye on our website www.rivercarnival.org or check out Facebook @rivercarnival or follow us on Twitter @WyeCarnival for more information & updates / timings for the h.Energy Village as we get them.
Greening the Hereford River Carnival
Herefordshire Green Network has been working closely with the Hereford River Carnival team this year to explore ways of making this gorgeous river celebration festival as green and sustainable as possible. Look out for compostable food containers, non-plastic cups and recycling points around the site.